Colin Caruso, Artistic Director of Professional Hair Color, shares his advice for the most wonderful time of the year!
How do the holidays affect hair color business in salons?
The holidays are one of the busiest times in a stylists’ year. It’s a huge revenue boost! The frequency of visit often increases because they would rather come early than have regrowth or color fading for their holiday events. It’s a great time to gain new guests because it’s common for guests to switch stylists if they’ve been unhappy.
Where are the opportunities for increasing hair color service revenues during the holiday season?
- Guests likely to be more willing to try new things with their color, which is a great way to upgrade your average ticket.
- Starting to rebook your guests in the months ahead ensures that you are booked and maximizing your time during the holiday season.
- Help guests protect their color investment by offering a custom color treatment that can be used in between salon visits at home. Color Craft® will keep hair color looking fresh and conditioned, but does not replace their next color service appointment.
A couple of tips to keep the holiday momentum going through the New Year:
- Rebook every guest for the amount of weeks they need to maintain their color. Ninety percent of the time, they will keep their appointment.
- Raise your prices. Guests will never dispute a price increase during the holidays and won’t think twice about it as they continue to come for the rest of the calendar year.
Consultation tips for upgrading color services:
Let your guests know you have some new techniques to share with them and how it can add to their existing color. Also, let them know what YOU think would look great on them—they listen to us as their stylist. Let them know and they will listen!
What are some quick hair color techniques you recommend this season?
- Hand-painting with your favorite Paul Mitchell® lightener is a quick way to breathe new life into an existing color.
- Color Craft® is a fun way to introduce color to a color-shy guest. Give them something fun for a party or holiday gathering.
- I love using The Demi clear as a top coat for beautiful shine—the hair will sparkle in all those festive photos!
Fun Holiday Formulas:
Add a little spice to guests’ hair with a splash of Color Shots.
Use The Demi to create a sophisticated spin on pastel tones.
Create rich, full-bodied depth with the color XG®.
For more business-building ideas during the holiday season, click here.